Mold is a dangerous and inconvenient problem to have in your home. One of the worst feelings for a homeowner is to discover mold growing somewhere inside their home. Mold reproduces quickly and can get into the air. Mold needs water to grow. Finding mold is not always clear and distinct. In fact, you could be living with a mold problem undetected for years. Here are some ways to detect if you have a prime area for mold growth or factors to look out for:
How do you know if your house has mold?
Whether or not you can see your mold problem, mold emits an unpleasant aroma. If an area of your house frequently has a musty type smell to it, it is highly probable you have a mold problem in that room. Follow the odor to where it is the strongest. Remove the section (carpet, tile, sheetrock). Even if you can’t see anything but still smell a musty, mildew scent, you more than likely have mold and may need to hire a professional.
Seeing Signs of Mold Growth
Sometimes you might not realize there is mold in your house! If you have black spots around your bathtub; it is more than likely mold. Some mold appears as small black spots. Mold can be various colors: black, gray, brown, green or white in color. Mold may even grow behind wallpaper and appear orange, pink or purple.
Signs of Water Problems
Mold thrives in cool, damp areas and therefore if you have had a leak or excess moisture anywhere in your home, then it is very possible you have a mold problem. If a toilet has ever overflowed; if rainwater leaked into your basement; both are signs that you could have mold growing. Identify areas that are moist and then look for possible signs of mold. Some symptoms that you have had a moisture problem include water stains or discoloration on walls, floors or ceilings in your house. Another sign can consist of peeling of paint or wallpaper. Condensation on your windows or pipes is another telltale sign of possible mold, as it is evidence of excess moisture. Remember, mold grows rapidly, and water helps the mold to grow.
Your health can be a sign that there could be mold in your home. Mold allergy symptoms include consistently runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, dizziness, and headaches. If you find that you only experience these symptoms at home, mold growth could be the cause. Some varieties could be quite toxic which is why it is vital to remove the mold from your house…and be sure you take lengths to prevent it from growing back. ]
You can kill some types of mold on your own using common household ingredients. Mix a gallon of water with a cup of bleach and scrub the mold on your walls or ceiling or bathroom tile. If the mold is in an area that is inaccessible, hire a professional to help remove the mold without destroying your walls.
Killing the mold is vital however it is also important to take steps to prevent regrowth of mold. Invest in a dehumidifier to place in a basement or area that tends to have excess moisture. Install exhaust fans in your bathrooms; another area that typically has extra moisture. Consider using mold-resistant paint for your walls.
Owning a home can be stressful and overwhelming but keeping a lookout for common problems and taking proper precautions can save you many headaches down the line. As always, contact me for any further tips or questions.
Don’t forget: I purchase properties as is. If your home is overtaken with mold and you don’t have the want or the means to repair it, contact me for a fair, all-cash offer for your home.